Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Reflection on Interactive Whiteboard Lesson

I felt I made a special effort to design this lesson. I wanted to make a lesson that would benefit student learning, but also allow to have fun with it. Math tends to be a difficult subject for some students, especially at the lower elementary levels. As an elementary education major, I sought to design a lesson that was stimulating, enjoyable, and referred to the common core standards. The topic I chose, Telling and Writing Time, tends to be a difficult skill for 1st and 2nd grade students. I remember this being difficult for myself as a young student. It was important to me to design a lesson that appeals to wide ranges of ability level, and that will help students become more confident when it comes to telling time and writing time.

Creating this lesson will really benefit my future teaching. What I enjoyed most was that it required me to already start thinking like a teacher. In completing this, I wanted to develop a lesson that would truly help students learn while taking advantage of the smartboard's capabilities. This day in age, with technology continuing to become more prevalent, teachers need to consider how they can use it for their students' benefit. I plan on using the smartboard as a teaching tool in the future. This assignment also helped me realize that when designing lesson plans, it is necessary to consider what role the smartboard can play in the lesson. I look forward to using smartboards as a tool to help my students become better learners. Finally, I feel that smartboards emphasize the importance of differentiated instruction. In this particular lesson, there is different grade levels and ability levels to consider. Not only can telling time be difficult to get used to for young students, but using the smartboard in general can be as well. Being a teacher at the elementary level, I find it especially important to have patience with students as they get used to the classroom technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment