Monday, October 22, 2012

Chapter 10/Epilogue Reflection

I definitely agree with the basic premise of this reading, in that it states that technology has transformed education. I feel it has effected both teaching and learning in a positive way. For instance, teaching has become more of "communicating" rather than "lecturing." I also agree with the statement that almost every technological tool is collaborative. I feel this is especially important, because it gives the sense that a classroom is a team or family, and they are working together to help everyone achieve more. Technology has definitely impacted teaching and learning in a positive way, but that doesn't mean teachers should feel the need to replace "old-school" strategies entirely. The advancement of technology should lend a helping hand to teaching, not replace it.

As a future teacher, I feel it is important to incorporate uses of technology to help my students learn. I also want to use it to help them collaborate with their classmates, when appropriate. I like the fact that technology can help students develop some very important skills. For example, using a classroom wiki can help students give and receive constructive criticism. It also can help them gain new ideas and perspectives from their classmates. As a teacher, I also want to use technology as a way to keep the classroom organized, such as keeping parents informed of what activities we are working on, etc. There definitely is a plethora of ways to use technology to empower student learning, teachers just need to choose them carefully and thoughtfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment